Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pre-Cana, part II

Yesterday was our marriage preparation workshop. It was a long day, with some ups and downs. Ups included: ham and pineapple pizza. No one ever orders that for these kinds of events--awesome surprise. Downs included: indirect scolding for my/our immoral choices.

But at the end of the day, there was this one older couple who was there to talk about the "Marriage Covenant." I didn't know what this talk was going to be about, and when it turned out to be about sexuality and intimacy, I was pretty sure it was going to be really awkward. Actually, it was the cutest damn thing in the whole world. This couple was so obviously madly in love with each other, and I nearly cried.

The husband was a retired naval submarine officer, so he would be gone for months at a time with no ability to communicate at all. So they would write each other four months of love letters, and one time the husband arranged for a florist to give his wife a rose a week for the entire time of his deployment, with a note on each one.

At the end, they gave us a "wedding card," and listed all their wishes for the engaged couples' lives together. And then they gave us our assignment. All of the other talks gave us the assignment of discussing something with each other, but this time, our assignment was to write our fiance(e) a love letter.

See what I mean? 100% adorable.

So that was Engaged Encounter, except I guess that's not what they actually called it. I recommend it* and it is going to get us a discount on our Georgia marriage license. Finally, a family values law I can get behind!

*I'm obviously not Catholic, and though there were parts where I was uncomfortable, overall it was a helpful day. It was a day spent doing nothing but talking and thinking about our relationship and marriage in the basement of a church. Which sounds pretty dull and dreadful but actually was kind of, dare I say...romantic? So don't be afraid, fellow non-Catholics!

No comments:

Post a Comment