Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

A year ago

A year ago...yesterday (we both forgot on the day of...oops), this happened.

I have learned a lot in the last year. About myself, about us, about flowers, about the cost of goods and services, and about bunting (for the record, I find bunting totally pointless. Sorry, bunting-defenders). Priorities, compromise, values. I didn't anticipate it, but this has been a year of incredible change. I stayed in the same place, at the same school, doing the same things day-in, day-out. But still, everything has shifted. Which is good. Engagement is a liminal state (webster: "of, relating to, or being an intermediate state, phase, or condition"). You have just promised to make a permanent change, and you get ready to do so. You are in between. You lose one stage of your life, say goodbye to it, and get ready to embrace a new one. Being engaged might be the most-recognized liminal state, but I've had others--senior years at school. Probably being a pre-teen is one too, though I think I have blocked out most of those memories by now.

Anyway, we're heading into the final stretch. Less than 3 months now. I'm ready to get to the other side. I want time to speed up, so that I can get there faster (added motivation is that we have accidentally done this the old-fashioned way, and now live separately until after we get married). But there is also so much to get done before that day. But luckily for me, I think time will probably continue stubbornly at its current pace, settling me at a happy medium between these conflicting forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment