Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Internet: Love/Hate

It's pretty well known that the Internet has made many things in life easier. And so we tend to think it makes things better. I have been known to sing the highest praises of Google maps, that recipe finder thing where you can see what you can make with what you have in your kitchen, online shopping, and I AM writing a blog right now. So I can't totally hate on the internet, obviously.

However, I have recently been planning my trip to India. And it's interesting, because I feel like I need to know everything there is to know about the hotels and safaris we are booking. I want reviews, I want pictures, I want to make absolutely sure it's a good, safe, clean, etc. place. But imagine what planning this trip would have been like even 10 years ago. I wouldn't be able to know anything! I'd have to get a travel agent, or just show up and see how it goes. And that honestly sounds kind of liberating. Since we can know everything, or so we think in this Internet age, if you make a mistake, it's your fault. It's because you didn't do your homework. My mom told me that she used to plan trips by calling the Chambers of Commerce of cities and asking for their brochures and other tourist info. I mean, there is so much potential risk out there, I get it, that we want to figure out how to mitigate it. But, ugh, sometimes I think it might be okay if I make a new recipe, go to a new restaurant, buy a new backpack, without reading what 25 other people have to say about it first! I always check reviews first! Always. That's loopy when you think about it, right?

Time to break free from the chains.

I don't know how the breaking free is going to be achieved, exactly.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment