Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Two Things

1) Went to the Grocery Store today. Bought: bread, milk, strawberries, peanut butter, cereal (Eric gave it up for Lent, so we bought a. lot. today. Also, Cracklin' Oat Bran was on sale for freaking $2.60!! Also also, if you don't know what COB is, get thee to a Kroger! NOW.) Also we bought Easter Candy. 'Cause just cause our mommas don't buy us candy anymore doesn't mean we don't want to eat chocolate eggs anymore!

2) I kind of want to turn this into a partial wedding blog. Will you all hate me if I do? Why am I even asking that? Gah. There is some kind of ridiculous pressure on peeps getting married (and by that, I mean BRIDES, since according to the world there are only BRIDES at weddings, getting married to...centerpieces, it would seem) to simultaneously plan a freaking awesome party, not offend anyone, spend $1 doing so, and never stress out about it or even talk about it cause, ugh! with the wedding talk! No one cares!

Which: can we all just stop with this? It's nonsense. I recognize that having your head talked off about whether you should use silk flower or real flowers or no flowers at all or pink flowers or blue flowers or or or or...etc. is annoying. I hear you. Not my jam either. BUT. Getting married is something we value here in the US of A. It's a ritual, a rite of passage, a big deal thing that we are supposed to support.

So, can we please actually, you know, support people as they go through this big deal step in their lives?

I am not talking to anyone in particular. My friends and family have been wonderful to me so far. If anything, I am talking to me a year ago. Me who bought into the cultural norm that says its totally cool to look at weddings on Facebook and go "ooh don't like that. that's pretty! mmmm, questionable choice on that dress." I mean, what the hell? The people in those pictures just wanted to stand up in front of their family and friends and say they love each other and plan to keep doing so forever and then throw a party for everyone to celebrate. Can we give them a frickin break on how the cake looked?

Wow. So that was a long-winded diatribe on how I feel bad trying to turn this into a part-time wedding blog. But really--I am engaged. You all know this. You all know this means I am starting to plan a wedding. Why do I feel guilty posting wedding thoughts in this blog about my life?

Anyway, I am eschewing this guilty thing. I am still me, you all know this. And if you love me, I hope you realize that me planning a wedding is the same me that always was. Seems like a simple idea, but let me tell you that the minute you go from not-Bride to Bride, the whole world seems to think that you have magically transformed from an intelligent person into irrational crazy person whose train of thought now goes "Wedding colors! Wedding favors! Wedding songs! Wedding! Wedding!" Look, I do think about those things, but they just take up the brain space that used to go "I wonder what made Jim decide to leave Karen in New York and ask Pam out?" So, not a real loss, intellectually.

This is a long post by now, and I am going to get back to this paper I am supposed to finish tonight.

Ciao readers! Thanks for reading the diatribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment